The First Year Center communicates with students and families often throughout students’ first year at Washington University in St. Louis. This communication begins the summer before their first year. Below, we have detailed what your student(s) and you can expect to receive from us between June and August.
- Each month, students will receive a Before You Arrive Checklist postcard in the mail. These postcards list the items students need to complete each month. International students will receive electronic versions via their WUSTL email.
- Each month, students will receive the Bear Bulletin digital newsletter via their WUSTL email.
- In July, students will receive a letter from the Director of the First Year Center, Bear Essentials for Students, and the Common Reading Program packet in the mail. International students will receive electronic versions via their WUSTL email.
- In July, all first-year students will register for their fall classes after speaking with their four-year academic adviser via Zoom.
- In early August, students will receive a postcard from Habif Health & Wellness Center via mail. This postcard will highlight important health & wellness to-do items. International students will receive electronic versions via their WUSTL email.
Parents & Families
- Throughout the summer, the First Year Center hosts a series of webinars to help prepare students and their families for the academic year. Our scheduled webinars can be found on the Family Webinar Series page.
- Each month, families will receive the quarterly e-newsletter, Family Ties, via email. Family Ties bridges the information gap between Washington University in St. Louis family members and life on campus.
- In June, families will receive a welcome letter from Chancellor Andrew D. Martin, Bear Essentials for Families, and a Health & Wellness Resource Guide.
- This summer Residential Life will send a Move-In Guide via mail. This guide will contain information explaining assigned move-in times, directions to campus, and more.
- In early August, families will receive a postcard via mail explaining what to expect during Parent & Family Orientation.
- Upon returning from Bear Beginnings: New Student Fall Orientation, families will receive a postcard via mail with information regarding Parent & Family Weekend.