The First Year Center is pleased to welcome your new transfer student and your family to Washington University in St. Louis.
We serve as the primary contact for supporting both transfer students and parent & family members in their transition to the university.
What to expect
We know that there is a great deal to think about as your student and your family transitions into the university. We have outlined the information you expect to receive throughout the summer as well as the timeline to ensure you and your student are prepared to join us in the fall.
- In June, you can expect to receive a welcome letter from the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Dr. Lori White, welcoming you to the Washington University in St. Louis community. This letter will also include insert cards highlighting numerous campus departments that may be of use during your time as a parent of WashU student.
- Also in August, you will receive via email the first edition of Family Ties, the quarterly e-newsletter that bridges the information gap between Washington University in St. Louis family members and life on campus.
- In mid-August you will be mailed a postcard with information regarding Parent & Family Weekend.
What we do
The First Year Center hosts a number of events and provides resources for you and your new student. Below are some ways we help you acclimate to the community.
- Prepare for college with the Before You Arrive Checklist
- Review the communications sent both digitally and in mailings to you and your student
- Find information about Bear Beginnings: Transfer & Exchange Student Orientation
- Join the First Year Center for digital and on-campus events geared towards parent and family members